The concept for the little patriots program arose from an experience in Dallas, Texas. The young son of an active-duty serviceman was in need of specialized care for glaucoma and even in a city as large as Dallas, he was unable to find a specialist who would see him.
The ‘little patriots’ program is designed to improve access to quality medical care for the children of active duty military personnel. Why? Because like all children, these children deserve the best care. Unfortunately, this standard might not be currently achieved. View little patriots participants here.
Through volunteer service, medical and surgical pediatric specialists pledge to provide timely access to high quality care for these children. Military families looking for help and support will be connected to these high-quality medical professionals through the ‘little patriots’ program, which is administered by the Children’s Eye Foundation.
The little patriots program is in the very early stages of development and has already received over $100,000 in pledged support from medical professionals across the country. If you are a board-certified medical professional interested in caring for the children of active duty military servicemen and women, contact us at email@example.com.
The little patriots program is administered by the Children's Eye Foundation and is not specific to pediatric ophthalmology. Medical professionals from all areas of children's care are welcomed to participate. Download the little patriots Pledge Form & FAQ's here.
Program Goals and Objectives
Improve access to, and continuity of quality medical care to military families
Highlight the appreciation medical professionals have for the servicemen and women of our country
Medical professionals eligible to participate will be:
- Board certified by an ABMS accredited board
- Willing to care for the children, independent of their insurance circumstances
- Licensed to practice medicine with a valid and unrestricted license
- Committed to quality medical service and coordination of care
- Able to commit to participation for a multi-year period
- Willing to pledge in-kind medical services and/or cash equivalents
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I already take Tricare and/or Tricare Prime?
- By taking military insurance, you already serve military families. We would like to highlight your service through the little patriots program by recording your efforts. If you do extraordinary things let us know!
How will patients be referred to participants?
- CEF will not be actively seeking referrals for each physician, however if a family contacts us directly we will do our best to connect them with the appropriate physician in their area. Your current referral method in your practice will remain the primary referral method.
How should I manage my pledge?
- Participants can determine how they would like to manage their pledge. Examples of participation are: see military children at no charge, waive co-pays, provide a significant discount for medical services, accept military insurance, and provide goods (such as glasses) at no charge.
Is my participation tax deductible?
- No. Unfortunately, the IRS does not allow physicians to deduct the “pro-bono” time they spend with patients. Cash and/or real property donations are deductible, per current tax policy.
Are there minimum volunteer requirements?
- No. Any pledge level that volunteers are willing to provide to the program is appreciated.
Is there a standard method to record and report service to the program?
- No, all participants are encouraged to record and report their service however is most convenient for them. Participation in the program is designed to be as low-maintenance as possible.
At the end of the year, what if I do not provide as many services as I pledged?
- At the end of the year if you do not provide the amount of services that you pledged to that year, we simply ask you to donate the remaining pledge amount to CEF.
If my entire practice would like to participate in this program, do we each have to make an individual pledge or may we make a pledge as a practice?
- We encourage practices to participate in the little patriots program together and welcome pledges made as a practice instead of individual physicians.
Will I get any publicity for my participation in the little patriots program?
- We will list you as a participant and will provide a link to your practice website on the CEF website, and feature you in our annual report. We also encourage you to publicize the program and your participation on your website. If you wish not to publicize your participation, please let us know.